Slots are perhaps one of the most popular casino games in existence. From humble beginnings in the 1800s to the first video slot machine of the 70s, the game evolved over the last couple of centuries. Video slots moved online with the evolution of the internet and are now available at our fingertips thanks to mobile devices.
Before learning how to play the game, it is essential to familiarize yourself with the basic components of video slots. For more updates on iGaming, visit Casino Bee.
Four Basic Components of Video Slots
1. Reels – Slot machines are composed of a series of reels, and the numbers vary between three and nine for modern slots. Classic 3-reel slots, also called fruit machines aren’t all that popular today, although a few game developers stick to the traditional layout based on their preferred theme. Each reel on the screen lands symbols at the end of every spin. When certain symbols land across multiple reels, it triggers a winning combination.
2. Symbols – Symbols are the essence of video slots and are a combination of images across the reels. Each symbol signifies special characteristics, from Wilds and Scatters to Bonuses, and Jackpots. Modern video slots will often offer a bunch of free spins. These usually trigger special symbols, increasing the player’s chances of scoring the jackpot.
3. Paylines – These are formed by multiple rows headed across the reels from left to the right. Paylines can form if symbols appear on a single row or may fluctuate on subsequent reels. Modern video slot machines can have anywhere between five and fifty paylines depending on the theme.
4. Payout Table – The payout table specifies the winning combinations and must be read before starting a new game. Analyzing the contents of the Payout Table in advance can help aspiring gamblers calculate the potential of scoring the jackpot and decide on the buy-in amount accordingly.
How to Win at Video Slots?
Before starting, it’s crucial to understand that slots are a game of luck, and there are no sure ways of winning. The game uses Random Number Generators to predict the next combination, and previous results aren’t stored for future reference. In order to maximize your chances of winning, here’s what you can do.
1. Bet the Maximum Buy-in – Winning at casino games involves sheer luck, and the longer you play, the higher your chances of losing. If you’re feeling lucky, bet the highest coin amount and earn a chance to unlock the jackpot. That way, if you run into luck, you have the maximum chance of making the best use of the opportunity.
2. Choose Slots with the Highest RTP – Return to Player is a metric that calculates the payout percentage of the game. Slots with a higher RTP have a greater chance of returning your bet. The downside of such games is limited hit frequency. Choose video slots with an average RTP over 95%. Some of the best games can offer up to 97% during bonus stages.